Monday, March 26, 2012

Rough Day

Today has been a rough.  When I called in at 5:00a.m. and talked to Ashton's night nurse I was happy to hear that she had a wonderful night.  Her oxygen levels were good and her 4:00a.m. blood gas looked good.  However, when I got to her bedside at 7:00a.m. she was agitated and didn't look like she was resting comfortably.  I spent most of the morning watching her oxygen saturation and heart rate decrease, then slowly climb back up.  Three times this morning Ashton had to be taken off the ventilator and be "bagged" because of too much water in her tube.  Let me tell you, that is NOT a fun process to watch.  The monitors are going crazy and it just breaks my heart to know that she is irritated.  She cries, but you can't hear anything because of the tube helping her breath and the tube to deliver food to her stomach. You can see her sweet face all scrunched up, but you can't hear the cry that should go with it.  It absolutely broke my heart.

The doctors made rounds around 11:45a.m.  They made very few changes. Her liver function "is not great", but should come back to normal over time.  They also told me that she is progressing in regards to the ventilator, but VERY slowly.  I completely understand and agree that we want her off the ventilator as soon as possible so that she doesn't become dependant on it, but I choose to focus on the fact that she hasn't had ANY ventilator changes that went backwards since we changed machines.  To me, that is a positive even if the changes in the right direction have been little and slow to happen.  They didn't have an explanation as to why she was so agitated and her rates were dropping.  They did a chest x-ray to check the placement of the breathing tube--it was where it was suppose to be--, suctioned her tube and nose, changed her positions, but nothing seemed to be helping.  Finally, around 2:00p.m. they decided to let me hold her and try to calm her down.  I held her until 5:00p.m. and she did amazing.  Her numbers were good and she was finally calm.  They drew her blood gas at 4:00p.m. with me holding her in my arms.

Her blood gas was VERY good at 4:00p.m. so they went down on her ventilator settings again.  Unfortunately for Ashton, I had to put her back in her isolet around 5:00 so that the nurses could do their assessment.  She WAS NOT a happy camper.  Her levels dropped and she started moving her arms and legs and grabbing at her tubes/wires.  I had to leave for shift change and she was finally starting to calm down -- a little.  She is having a hard time comforting herself and obviously they will not let me hold her 24 hours a day.

PRAYER REQUESTS:

1.) Ashton has a peaceful night with no drops in her oxygen and heart rates.
2.) Ashton tolerates her vent. change well.
3.) We keep making progress and Ashton gets off the ventilator sooner rather than later.
4.) Her liver function improves.
5.) No more cardiac SVT.
6.) No intestinal issues.
7.) Peace for a very weary, worried, and tired momma.

Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you.  I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.  Isaiah 41:10 NLT

2 comments:

  1. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1) I am so sorry that today was rough for you and sweet angel Ashton. I can relate to the hurt and broken feeling that your heart is experiencing with the things that you are seeing and hearing. There are many, many prayers going out for y'all. Find comfort in that and remember God is still in control. Reach out for God's hand and guidance. Love, Tammy Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Brandi. Prayers going all over Odessa for you and Cody and Brady and of course, little Ashton. What a fighter-got her momma's spirit!

    Please do let me know if there is anything at all that I can do. Cook for the boys, laundry, clean-whatever.

    Love you guys!

    Jenn

    The peace of God is much greater than the human mind can understand. This peace will keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)

    ReplyDelete