Tuesday, March 20, 2012

First Diaper Change

I NEVER thought I'd be so happy to change a poopy diaper!  Ashton's day nurses (she had two today-one veteran who was training a newbie) were great.  They did everything they could to let me help with Ashton.  I know changing a diaper doesn't sound like a pleasant experience, but when you've only gotten to hold your newborn's hand during the first nine days I promise you--it is a HUGE deal. 

On to today's events... Ashton did so well yesterday that the Neonatologist decided to be more aggressive with her.  Maybe we were a little too aggressive because we took a ton of steps forward only to take a few steps back.  The doctors made two vent. changes. (With each change they are reducing the amount of work the machine does which forces Ashton to take on a little bit more of the work herself.) The first change Ashton handled OKAY, not like yesterday where she flew through changes.  When they decided to make another change, my mommy instinct kicked in.  I was worried she wasn't ready for the change, but I realized two things--1.) I'm not a neonatologist and 2.) I wasn't trusting that God was in control of this and every change.  So when her blood gas lab work came back and showed that she was not handling the change well, I was at peace with the fact that he had to take a step back to her previous vent. settings. Even with the change back, she still wasn't handling the change very well.  They decided to give her a diuretic and are waiting until midnight to decide if she is doing better or if she needs to take another step backwards. 

Now, on to the good news...as of midnight tonight Ashton will be off one of her heart medicines.  They reduced her heart medicine twice today and she handled the reductions without any change in her heart rate or blood pressure.  If she doesn't have any issues when they stop the medicine completely at midnight, they are going to feed her 2cc of milk! 

Tomorrow's plan includes: 1.) Stopping her second heart medicine; 2.) Possibly inserting the picc line.  They held off putting it in today hoping that by tomorrow she is off her heart medicines.  This makes a big difference in the type of line they have to put in;  3.) Continue reducing her vent.pressures.''  Obviously, depending on her night tonight this could ALL change!

Specific Prayer Requests:
1.) That Ashton has a good night and can maintain her current vent. settings.
2.) That the discontinuation of Ashton's heart medicines does not cause any problems with her heart rate/function.
3.) That Ashton tolerates the milk feedings.

I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open.  I'll try to update more tomorrow.  Ignore the lack of proofreading, etc. I think the NICU days/nights are draining my mental abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment