Friday, March 23, 2012

Oh, what a night (and day)!

Last night Ashton's blood gases where not very good.  They had to go back up on the vent. settings and her oxygen needs were high.  On top of they started to insert her picc line around 11:00 p.m.  I didn't realize that the process to insert a picc line takes about two hours!  They insert the line, take an x-ray, let the doctor review it, make changes, etc.  I'm happy to report that around 1:00a.m. this morning Ashton was the proud owner of a picc line in her left arm.  It doesn't seem to bother her as she keeps moving her arms all around.  However, this mommy didn't get much sleep because of the silly picc line!

At rounds this morning the doctors decided that Ashton needed a bigger intubation tube and a different type of ventilator because her oxygenation and blood gases where still not good.  In order to make these changes her "breathing tube" had to be removed and the newer, bigger one inserted.  This process is very scary because they are removing the one tube that is helping her little lungs.  I was allowed to stay in the room while they switched the tubes and ventilator.  Watching her numbers take a nose dive was so very, very hard.  I was praying none stop during the procedure and Ashton came through with flying colors.  The tube change went smoothly and she appears to be doing better on this ventilator.  We will have to wait and see what the blood gases show, but I'm marking the fact that the changing process went smoothly down as a huge praise!

The cardiologists came by today and basically said no changes everything looks okay.  Then one of the cardiologists looked at me and said, "Besides anyone you know who has been to Afghanistan or Iraq, your daughter has been through one of the worst battles and came out like a hero.  She is such a fighter."  I can't tell you how that made me feel.  Well, okay I guess I can try--it made me realize, yet again, what a journey our baby girl has already been on in her very short little life.  It also made me appreciate that our family has been covered by your prayers during this journey.

As for specific prayer requests we are focus primarily on getting her vent. settings down.  We would appreciate you covering Ashton with prayers for her little lungs and that she can learn to adapt to being weaned off the ventilator.  Obviously, we know this will occur in a time to be determine by our sweet girl, but we would like to see a more steady progression downward.

I am exhausted and life at the NICU bedside is starting to drain me.  I was standing in the shower last night "hearing" all the different beeps and buzzes and alarms in my head.  I desperately need a hair cut, to do laundry, and wash the dishes that are piling up in my brother's sink, but none of those things seem that important right this minute.  I'm missing Cody and Brady, but I'm so grateful to  have such amazing friends who are helping Cody keep Brady in his routine back home.  I know Brady doesn't understand completely what is going on because he keeps telling me to bring Ashton and the nurses home.  At the same time, he is LOVING his daddy time, so I'm not so sure he really wants me home! 

I'll try to give a night time update later, but no promises on that one.  If Miss Prissy cooperates and is doing well, this mommy may go to sleep early tonight.

Brandi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment