Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Hiccups, Smiles, and a Few Tears

Today was an uneventful day for Ashton.  The doctors did not make any changes to her nasal cannula settings and increased in milk intake to an ounce every three hours.  She will stay at that amount of milk until she puts weight on and they "weight adjust" her amount of milk.  She is still having episodes where she forgets to breath and her heart rate/oxygen saturation level drops, but once she is "reminded" she gets back to work.  She is still wearing clothes and learning to regulate her own temperature.  Ashton got the hiccups for about ten minutes tonight and she was not happy!  She finally stopped and looked at me while I was holding her and smiled.  Obviously, I know it was a "gas" smile, but it was perfect in my eyes. 

Ms. Patsy and Melissa were Ashton's nurses today and WE LOVE THEM.  They were Ashton's nurses the first couple of days after Cody had to go back to Midland and were very sweet and took great care of Ashton and me.  When I came in this morning both of them looked at me and told be how amazing Ashton looked compared to when they took care of her twelve days ago. 

We also got a couple of visits tonight from the doctor and nurse who took care of Ashton during her first three nights.  Rhiannon and Dr. Jones took care of Ashton during her most critical, sickest nights.  Both stopped by at different times to look and see how she was doing.  Both were so amazing to Ashton, Cody, and I during the roughest times and we will be forever grateful to them.  Dr. Jones called Ashton a "miracle baby" who looks "amazing" tonight.  Of course, he also said she has a long road ahead of her, but he is amazed how she is doing.  Tears started to flow as I thought of our drive to Houston Thursday, March 8th, when Cody and I were praying and requesting prayers for a miracle for our sweet girl.  We were told medical science said a miracle was Ashton's only chance and I am in awe of looking into her sweet face everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment